2020 International LAM Research Conference & LAMposium CANCELLED
It is with deep regret that The LAM Foundation has made the decision to cancel the 2020 International LAM Research Conference and LAMposium in Cincinnati, Ohio, April 30 - May 3, due to the evolving worldwide COVID-19 outbreak.
The decision was made by the LAMposium Steering Committees and members of the Board of Directors out of deep concern for the health and well-being of our community of patients, scientists and caregivers. This decision has not been easy, as our annual research conferences and LAMposiums represent the most important place to celebrate the LAM community and advance our scientific understanding of the disease. This year we were particularly eager to celebrate 25 years of meaningful connections and research progress, and we are all deeply saddened by the impact of this global crisis.
The decision process considered many options, including scaling back the scope of the conference or transitioning to a scientific meeting only. In the end, the elevated health risks for women with LAM, and the spirit of inclusivity that defines our mission, led to the only possible decision of canceling the meeting. The committee concluded that all members of the LAM community must be included in our signature events and that partial attendance would not accomplish our goals.
The potential for a rescheduled meeting or other educational format will depend on many factors, including the projected duration of the outbreak, conflicts with other meetings, hotel availability and other logistical and financial factors. The next steps will be decided as more information becomes available.
We recognize that the cancellation decision will inconvenience our patient and family registrants, our caregivers and scientists, and also, the Foundation. Immediately, it will lead to issues with airline tickets, expended costs, and contractual obligations.
To help with this process, the Foundation will:
- Refund conference registration fees for paying attendees. Please watch your credit card statement for a refund.
- Provide an official letter of event cancellation as a resource for anyone who needs to cancel an airline ticket. Airline policies continue to evolve, and we are hopeful that this will prove helpful.
Conference attendees will need to cancel their individual hotel reservations. There will be no fees associated with cancellations as long as the hotel receives notification more than 24 hours prior to scheduled arrival.
The LAM Foundation will provide guidance throughout this process and appreciates your patience and understanding during this very difficult period. Please watch for upcoming communications with details from LAM Foundation staff as indicated below:
- LAM Family Network (LFN) Grants: Jenny Jostworth and Denise Huening (email@example.com)
- Professional, poster, and platform speaker information: Judy Sheridan (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- LAMposium speaker information: Sharlene Dunn (email@example.com)
- General conference updates: Sue Sherman (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Please visit our FAQ Page for more information